The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm 

I feel like bad mum because I noticed this tonight but have no idea how it happened

Not sure how clear the pic looks
What should I do with it? Just plain water? Saline? Its an open cut nearly 1" long

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:37 pm 

Don't feel bad. Fu has had this kind of scrape before and I sometime don't notice it for awhile. They always look worse than they actually are at first. Pei skin is really thin. I always just wash the wound with saline, then put some antibiotic ointment on it to keep it moist. For a few days I clean it with the saline and apply more antibiotic ointment. Usually it looks better the next day and is pretty much healed within 3 or 4 days. They heal fast!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:42 pm 

Poor Pearl! You can bet he didn't feel it either. (LOL) Or she would have squealed and brought it to your attention. Don't worry she'll be fine!
Your a good MOM!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 pm 

You are not a bad mum! I put a little neosporin on any cut Avery gets. She cut she paw on a rock recently.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 am 

Deb I would add nespirin to your next US shopping list - I got some and its really good antiseptic gel in little sachets.

Ive got a sterile spray that i usually spray silas with on cuts and if anythin big put some sudocrem or other thick type cream on it to try and keep crap out !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:56 am 

Itsi is a disaster with cutting herself and somehow does it on a regular basis. We use salt water on her, just usual table salt in warm water and with cotton wool soak the cut then keep cleaning it for a couple of days and she heals up just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:30 am 

During allergy season Enzo can give himself some pretty nasty cuts. We also just wash out and put neospirin or triple antibiotic cream. Usually within a day or two it's just about healed. For all of the grief Shar Pei skin can give us - it sure does heal fast:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:07 am 

Thanks for that Angela, guess what I was doing at 5.30am this morning? On my way to Heathrow to collect Lauren. Hows that for bad timing, 1 week earlier and I could have got some :roll:

Any way it now looks like a tiny scab and and almost normal :D