The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seizures :(
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:58 pm 

I have a 4 year old female shar pei. when she was a puppy she would have small seizures and we brought her to the vet and he said everything was fine. they stopped and years went by without any.

last October she had one in our back yard i thought she was dying it was horrible. When it ended she was completely fine. never had a change of appetite or anything.

then about 5,6 months ago she had one while i was giving her a bath, then same thing once its over shes fine and there are no signs of lose of appetite before or after they happen.

then this past sunday she had another one in the living room and it was bad. usually they start slow, shes very stiff and shakes back and forth. she tries to walk but its like she doesnt know how and shes tipping over. then she falls down and starts shaking and swaying bad. this sunday when it happened she ended up going to the bathroom on the floor. then the same thing it ends shes breathing a little heavy but then shes fine.

i brought her to the vet after the second one while i was bathing her and they said sometimes it just happens and if they are not that often then they dont want to do anything about them cause medicine will only make her worse.

im just wondering what people think, its horrible to watch i usually have to leave the room and let my husband sit with her cause i just cry :(.

thanks for the help!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Seizures :(
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:14 pm 

There is a great seizure http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... te_map.htm There are some holistic helpers on this website as well.
I would make sure if your Vet Did not Offer, it that they give you Emergency Seizure meds! It appears from your description that the seizures are escalating. Make them Give you something in case it goes longer than 2 minutes or clusters occur.
In your case I wonder whether there could be a nutritional problem or physical like thyroid?For thyroid I would run the Full Panel and have Dr. www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-RESUME.HTM - Cached
What kind of diet are you using?
Any chance you 've been using a Spot on Flea product, Spray or Wash?
Any Vaccinations ? You may want to eliminate them in the future.
Any other medicines or illness.
Oh course, it could always just be epilepsy.
Lot's of info here, prayers let try and help your baby have a little easier time.
Medicine may help as well

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:57 pm 

I feed and her my other dog Canidae food. I do give them flea and tick meds on their backs every month. but other then that, nothing. and none of this is new since the seizures started.

she does throw up a yellow discharge a lot. kind of like if people don't eat and they throw up their bile. that's what it looks like. she doesn't seem sick or tired or anything when she does it but shes always done it her whole life.

i found a vet near by that specializes in shar peis im hoping to be able to talk to him soon.
thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm 

Vomitting bile (stomach acids) usually means they need food on their stomach more frequently....often a snack between meals (say every 6-8 hours) usually resolves this. Seizures can occur for a number of reasons. Thyroid issues is a common one and unfortunately many Vets do not run the full 6 panel thyroid test when checking for this so Hypo-t often goes undiagnosed and untreated. Could also be blood sugar issues or a number of other things including advanced renal disease which is common in Peis too....a veterinary workup for this would be an excellent idea.

Also sometimes no cause will be found. We have a rescue kitty that has seizure disorder and there is no clear cause according to tests but since he is otherwise "neurologically untypical" the Vet feels his invitro neurological development was probably compromised by something...possibly Toxoplasmosis parasite.

Blessing's CSP
http://blessingssharpei.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 pm 

Please take some time and read the "Dixie had a seizure" thread...there is about two years of records there on my Dixie and her seizures....may give you some insight.

The key thing when they are seizing is to keep them safe from hurting themselves. Cushion the head and support the body...keep an ongoing conversation of comfort w/ them..clear the mouth of foam..have a towel handy for accidents( usually urine)

Depending on frequency..some recommend having Valium suppositories handy. Thi swould depend on length of seizures also. Dixie's have never last over 3-4 minutes at the most total..from start to finish with her reorienting...

Keep us postd on what the vet tells you.....
Wishing you and your peiby well..
Van & Dixie Belle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:28 am 

Sorry to hear this. hope you can resolve this. i had a dog who had seizures.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:45 am 

I am sorry you are going through this. My Oscar has seizure, even one seizure lasted for two and 1/2 hours. We found out after 2 years of dealing with the seizures that he is considered an epileptic My heart just breaks everytime I watch him go through this. With Oscar there is no warning sign. It just happens out of no where. What I have found that works well with him is the Penobarbital. He has to have his levels checked once a year now since his seizures only occur about once or twice a year. If I forget to give him his meds (yes this has happened) then he will normally have a seizure. I try to keep him on a constant schedule. I would recommend having the Peno levels checked. They do this by simple blood work.

Here is the Thread on Van's "Dixie has seizures" and Oscar's thread on "Oscar seizures".

I hope you can find some happy ground on getting the seizures under control.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5901&p=210707#p210707

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15688

I can not find the original thread I started on Oscar's first battle with seizures. It had been over 2 years since we dealt with this.
If you need anything please let us know. Hang in there!

Also never use any flea or tick meds on your pei. My vet said once they start having seizures to discontinue these products. Also you may not want to do rabies shots. It has some side affects that can be dangerous to seizure patients.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:00 pm 

i will take a look at these threads for sure.

its not bad to not give her rabies shots or flea meds? how will i know if she has a tick?

and as far as her throwing up her bile, i constantly keep her food bowl full so she can eat whenever she wants she usually eats about 2 to 3 times a day.

i found a vet near by that specializes in shar peis so i might make an appt with them..
thanks again everyone. im just a nervous mommy :( ..i love my girl to death. she is like my child and just the thought of something happening to her breaks my heart. i know someday this will happen but shes young now and i dont want the seizures to be the cause of her death.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 pm 

Certain ingredients in the flea meds can have a reaction in dogs with seizures. I have to bath Oscar a little more than I would like, but it helps. There are some all natural solutions that can be used, but frontline should be avoided. You also have to avoid the oral meds that are used for flea treatment.

Your vet may still want to do the rabies shot, but depending on how many seizures your pei is having should be taken into consideration. If you pei is having a seizure every month I would ask the vet just to do titers. It will check to make sure that the dog is okay on not having the rabies shot.

I have been round and round with my vet on the rabies shot. I was highly upset when I went in after his cluster seizure and the first thing they wanted to do was give him a rabies shot since he was due for one. It is on his records that he had a reaction to his rabies shot and should not be given anymore since he is prone to seizures. They wanted to keep him overnight and give him the rabies shot. I finally have got the wavier to not have the rabies shot, but he is not allowed to go into public, because he does not have a rabies shot.

Another thing I would suggest is to have your pei on seizure meds. The longer a seizure last puts the animal at risk for a lot of complications. Take for example Oscar's 2 and 1/2 hour seizure: he lost oxygen to his brain during that time. Due to this aspect he became an aggressive dog. His brain does not function normally and he will never be the same. If I had known then what I know now I would have had him on the seizure meds.

Other risk of prolonged seizures include heart failure, kidney and renal failure, and lung and brain damage.

The best seizure med is the Pentobarbital. For a 30 day supply it is only 15 dollars. it has worked wonders with Oscar. To give you an example I had to work on Friday all day and did not get off in time to pick up his meds. So he went one day without the meds. He had another mild seizure tonight. The meds keep his levels in check and he normally will not have a seizure.

You pei will not get better with out meds and normally the seizures will happen more and more and will last longer. I would recommend speaking with your vet about a long term plan on meds to help decrease the amount of seizures.

Hang in there. I have learned a lot in the last three years. i also felt that I would never get his seizures under control.

A shar pei vet is great. let us know what your vet says. i am always open to new treatments that help our babies manage this illness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 pm 

Hi BellasMommy,

I would have Bella's heart checked. Even start with an x-ray. Our first shar-peid started having seizures at 6 & 1/2. Unfortunately our vet at the time just prescribed phenobarbitol and said "sometimes they just happen". Six months later, Lucy went into heart failure one Sunday and we lost her that night. I don't want to scare you, but our new vet said that we could have found it with an x-ray. And there are a lot of meds that can help with heart problems today.

I beilive that seizures could be causes by a lot of reasons....the only reason I want to bring up having Bella's heart checked is that I think it is often overlooked.

Hugs to Bella and I'm keeping you all in my prayers,
Lisa & China

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:27 pm 

Meds do work , so don't think that by not trying them your pei is better off. They don't always work for all. Hoping you have success at the vets and please keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm 

Hi I am new to the forum. I just signed up today after rushing my little Junebug ( 1 1/2 year old female) had a pretty bad seizure. I am very research oriented and want to think her vaccinations last week may have been a factor. I changed vets (to a vet I used to go to and she was out sick for a while and now is back, LOVE her) and the office she is now at is using a two year vaccination now. This was her first time for the vaccine and they also upped her heartworm meds to 51-100 pound. She is right below 50. I guess I am also overprotective too. Has anyone had any of these factors contribute to seizures? Any input would be greatly appreciated. They sent us home with phenobartial twice a day and I am going to start her on it tonight on a reasonable time schedule. My son had a seizure as an infant and never had another. I am hoping and praying she will not have another again either. It hurts to see a human or a dog go through seizures.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:18 pm 

I am posting an update on my June bug. I went back to my vet and she took her off the meds. She did some research and wants me to watch her for a year to determine if the rabies shot gave her the seizure. I was told by my breeder to not give her one since she had trouble with the vaccine with her dogs and one had died from it. I didn't remember this at the time. So if she doesn't have another seizure in a year then she will not be getting the rabies again. We will know at that time for sure if it was the vaccine. I am so glad she called me on a Sunday to let me know she was researching it and cared enough to take the time out on a Sunday for my little girl.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm 

Oh I hope that she doesn't have any more seizures!!!! paws crossed for her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:23 am 

It sounds like your on the right track with June bug. Bless her and thank you for updating us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 am 

I would make sure you check the Heartworm medicine and any fleas medicines as well, They are Big Seizure contributors in some dogs.
Glad she is better and yes she should be watched and no more shots given if she had reactions. I would find out what info Lot, Date manufactuere and report it to the FDA if you suspect.
Also check your state if your US, because most don't need to give anything but 3 yr to an adult. 1 yr and 2 yr are unnecessary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:13 pm 

How is your peiby?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:18 pm 

nrhayden wrote:
I am posting an update on my June bug. I went back to my vet and she took her off the meds. She did some research and wants me to watch her for a year to determine if the rabies shot gave her the seizure. I was told by my breeder to not give her one since she had trouble with the vaccine with her dogs and one had died from it. I didn't remember this at the time. So if she doesn't have another seizure in a year then she will not be getting the rabies again. We will know at that time for sure if it was the vaccine. I am so glad she called me on a Sunday to let me know she was researching it and cared enough to take the time out on a Sunday for my little girl.

It was determined the rabies shot caused Oscar's seizures, but he has not been able to go off the meds.

I would question a vet that took her off the meds. Just because it is determined that the rabies vaccine caused the seizures does not mean they will stop. The seizures meds are there to help, but taking a seizure dog off the meds can sometimes cause more harm than good. You do not want her to have a seizure cluster ( it can range from 30 min to 3 hours). Within that time she can have heart failure and other situations from the seizure clusters. I am only saying this because we chose not to have the meds for Oscar for quite some time. In the mean time he never got better and he continued to have seizures. The last one that lead us to him taking the meds was the cluster seizures. He lost Oxygen to his brain and has caused a change in everything in him. I would really consult with another vet before i took her off the meds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm 

We were wondering if its common for all dogs to have a reaction like this to vaccinations?
Is it specific to the breed?
I have owned several different breeds and the only one we had to titer before annual
shots was my step mom's pekinese.

I am not big on research, so don't blast me if it is a common knowledge thing.
But I never saw so many dogs have seizures after shots until reading it here on the forums
with sharp pei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:24 pm 

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I will start a thread and see if Dr. Tintle will answer about the reactions to vaccines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:01 pm 

Probably due to the fact we just see so many sick dogs here. (sigh)