The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smelly Shar-Pei
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:10 pm 

My Shar-Pei is almost two years old. She has an awful order all of the time. Even after she is bathed by the groomer. The groomer says this is normal because she has oily skin. Is this so? What can I do?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Smelly Shar-Pei
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:24 pm 

Shandy hi
welcome to this forum
I had same problem with my shar lee
A week after his bath, he had oily skin especially on the head and he smelled also. Last year he had IBD big bowel problems, it was allergy at the start, so we tried many types of food (except dry as shar lee would not like it). I had to cook. When i switched to fish and tapioca, it was the right food for him. I never needed to bath him again.... incredible. No oily hair, no smell anymore. I couldn t believe it.
Maybe people here can give you the link to maristavet (something like this) it gives plenty of information and there are some about seborhea and what you can do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:24 am 

Thank you so much. I feed Sandy dry foods. This is the second brand that I used. I will try another brand to see if that helps. If I give her anything other than dry food she will have the runs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:59 am 

Shandy, here is a few informaiton i found for you on dr vidt website about odor
if your dog has the run then be most careful how you switch food, you should gradually add new food to his old food so that his stomach get used to it.

Skin problems -- bacterial pyoderma (infections) and/or Malassezia (yeast) dermatitis. These are usually secondary to endocrine skin disease such as hypothyroidism, hay fever-type allergies, food allergies, nutritional problems, parasitic dermatitis as occurs in demodectic/sarcoptic mange and with flea problems. Infected bite wounds can be another common cause of odor to the skin especially noticeable a few days after a dog fight. Odor with skin disease is usually caused by the dog's licking and chewing due to itching. Skin irritation due to any cause results in an increase in skin oil production. When the excess oil is broken down by organisms such as bacteria and yeast a "ranchid" odor is produced.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:32 pm 

What is maristavit?
Dawn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:23 pm 

I use a feed supplement once a day with a feeding it is called SeaGlow. My pei does not get the smell that I know peis can get. This SeaGlow is amazing her coat is soft and beautiful without the odor. Check out the post on SeaGlow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:08 pm 

i would be willing to hear from anyone. if possible=feel free to email me at anepa@aol.com. i want to cry!!!!! i have a male sharpei=he was an abused animal that i got when he was seven months old. he is now 10 months old. his name is wrinkles & he is a great pup. i really love him a lot. but i fear i am not a good owner. he's been to the vet many times for antibiotics & predisone. he has so many problems, that i am overwhelmed. 1st=he smells so bad, no one wants him around. he smells up the house, car etc. 2nd= he is shedding like crazy. he has some bald spots, some red spots some black spots. he's been on four different types of food already. no matter what i try i just can't seem to get his hair & his smell under control. every one says i should give him up cause he's too much work. but to me that is out of the question. is there any easy remedy to help me get a handle on these problems. thank you. my name is bev & my dog's name is wrinkles. please reply asap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:10 pm 

Hey Bev. What are you feeding, what has your vet done as far as the skin tests (scrapings?), and what kind of treatments have you been on. Have you had an allergy test done to determine food allergy causes? What do you wash him with? We need all the details to be able to help you...and unfortunatly there is probably no easy way to fix this, but I am so glad to hear that giving him up is out of the question. Let us know more, and maybe we can help

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:16 am 

You need to work with a vet. It can't be diagnosed and treated from a distance like this. Some professional needs to feel, touch and see him. The only odors that I've ever had are from infected wounds. Not all hair loss is an allergy-type situation (ie changing foods). He may have a skin parasite such as mange. You must get this directly and responsibly diagnosed - not in cyberspace.

vicky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 am 

Dawn -

MARVISTAVET (marvistavet.com) is a good website that covers many conditions.

vicky