The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:41 am 

I have a 3y/o female Shar pei. She has had an ongoing infection in all four of paws for as long as I can remember. It started with her licking and chewing them. They are swollen and no hair grows on the bottom of her feet in between the pads, there are sores in between her toes and the bottoms are dry and cracked. It is horrible. NO vet has cured this!! She has been on antibiotics twice but had severe allergic rxn's while on the medication. She just started a new antibiotic for skin infections. (which I am hoping she does not react to)I have been soaking her paws in a betadine solution which helps keep her paws clean. In the past I have tried anti-fungus medications, as well as anti-yeast medications. I have even tried atheletes foot sprays, cortisone, bacitracin and monistat! Nothing has worked. At one point her paws were so bad and itchy I had to keep her in lose socks and booties when we went for walks. Has any other Sharpei owner experienced anything like this? She also has food allergies (she is on fish and pototo) and she has bad skin. She also has been getting beauty marks/brown spots?? Does anyone else have a dog with spots? She gets a bath about every month in a yeast/allergy shampoo - (she gets very smelly!!)And her skin gets lumpy and bubbly looking especially in her armpits and folds. She is a problem child and I wish I knew what I could do to fix these problems. I love her and she is my heart. Any advice out there? Any dogs/owners with similair problems??

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:01 am 

Feet Licking = Allergic rxn. She is allergic to *something* - could be food, airborne, etc. Take her to a dermatologist to find out what she is allergic to, and that will solve the problem. You could start by feeding her a duck & potatoe food for a month or two and see if that solves the problem - if it does, then she is allergic to something in the food. Many dogs are allergic to chicken, corn, wheat, etc. If switching her food doesn't work, it is likely an airborne allergy and she can take shots for it, just like humans. A doggie dermatologist can do this. Ask your vet for a referral, or use the yellow pages to find one in the closest major metropolitan area. Good luck,
Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei
www.fidnet.com/~mindy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:07 am 

Here is a site that has some very practical information on allergies:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dallergy.html

Mindy Carter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:17 am 

Thanks,

I have changed her diet a few times, she is now on fish & potato. She seems to do great when I switch food, and then after a few months shes back where she started.(tried lamb, duck, now fish) I had bloodwork sent out to a lab once and it came back that she was allergic to everything yet the Vet didnt suggest allergy shots. I have to save up to bring her to a real dermatologist in NYC. I'm thinking maybe she needs to be on a raw diet??? or like you said maybe she needs allergy shots b/c its envirnomental. My poor pei has had so many troubles/skin problems, entropian surgery, severe rxns to meds, and the worst part is she is the best dog I've ever had - real smart and sweet, and a mush. I appreciate all the advice out there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:27 am 

Is this pei from a breeder? If so, what does the breeder say about all this?
Just curious. There must be a history somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:44 am 

The breeder is a jerk. I got her shipped to NY from Missouri, I saw her picture and fell in love. The breeder has not returned emails/calls in 3 years!! Im sure she is not the only dog that this breeder has bred that has problems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:02 am 

Oh I am sorry to hear that your breeder is so worthless... It is incredible how awful breeders can be sometimes...and then there are such great ones. In the mean time, I would suggest switching to a raw food diet. A lot of people have had success with a tapioca and fish diet, I think Shar Lee is the person to talk to about that diet. Also, mei mei has some good info about raw foods (currently she is helping me!). Also, how often to you bathe your pup, and what with, do you wash the dogs beds with scented detergent? Do you use air fresheners? What kind of treats do you give her. Skin conditions are so frustrating because there can be so many underlying causes...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:32 am 

Ohh I know!! It seems like every vet trip ends at another dead end!! Right now I am bathing Pumpkin about once a month or every 2-3 weeks with Maleseb? depending on how quickly she gets oily and smelly (like corn chips). Her bubbly mucin skin gets irritated and always seems to look better a day or two after a bath. Also, she seems to feel better and more comfortable when she is clean. The raw diet seems really interesting...I will do anything that will help my girl... Does anyone's shar pei have paw problems??? She rarely licks them (only in the beginning when the problem started) and I cannot seem to rid her paws of the infection. Its HORRIBLE!!! None of the vets have seen anything like it....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:01 am 

My pei has mucinosis too, but his never gets irritated like that, just bubbles up then goes away...Sounds like your bathing is going well, only when she needs it. Do you wash her very carefully, and make sure you are rinsing completely? One suggestion about the paws that you might try is 91% isopropyl alcohol. That stuff will kill anything! Maybe follow it up with some dog anti itch spray for hot spots and stuff. I think trying a raw diet cant hurt, ifyou do it properly (that is the hard part, in my opinion). Generally paw licking and sores are related to allergies, but it sounds like your pei got a good infection up in there. Has your vet cultured the paws to find out what exactly is growing up in there? Maybe some antibiotic shots will help clear it up...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:16 pm 

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_demodectic_mange.html

Try this site out. This may be the problem. I had the same problem my pei.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:24 pm 

www.onlynaturalpet.com
they have great products that may help you out
good luck with your pei