The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eye Tacking
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:20 pm 

My 13 week peiby Skye had his eyes tacked approximately two weeks ago. I am just curious if some peiby's need to get their eyes tacked numerous times due to the weight or the wrinkles surrounding their head?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eye Tacking
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:39 pm 

Yes, sometimes puppies have to be tacked several times, twice is not uncommon. If your puppy's eyes are watering, or he is not holding one or both open all the way, he will need them re-tacked. Did you ask the breeder about this? They would know from their previous breedings a good indication of how many times your puppy will need tacking...
Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:04 pm 

Enzo went to an opthomalogist today and he wants to tack all four of his lids. I know this is pretty common for Pei, but it's really upsetting b/c his eyes seemed fine until one day he woke up and all of a sudden his eyelid was rolling in. The dr. gave me a quote of about $375, does that seem right? Also, should I have this done ASAP or can I wait a couple of weeks? I made an appt for this Friday, but Enzo will be going in for his neuter in March - and ideally I'd like to do them both at the same time to avoid having him put under anesthesia twice. One last question, the doc said Enzo will have to wear one of those cone things around his head for four weeks to prevent him from scratching the tacks out - is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 pm 

NOOOO! $375 to TACK? You surely mean to do full entropion surgery, not tack! My vet charges $10 per eye to tack - upper and lower! And they don't have to wear a collar! And, NO WAY should a 13 week old dog have entropion surgery - NO WAY. FIND ANOTHER VET. Your vet obviously knows nothing about Shar-Pei. GRRRRRRR...I swear, some see a Shar-Pei coming in the door, and they feel their wallets growing... :rant: :rocket:

You puppy need his eyes TACKED - it takes about 5 minutes to do both eyes. The tacks either fall out by themselves, or you snip them yourself when they have been in for about 2 weeks.

Most dogs grow into their wrinkles, and never need entropion surgery. The tacking is to keep the skin out of their eyes until their skulls grow.

Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 am 

Yep it was tacking on all four eye lids and $375 was the price they quoted me. The included in that the tacking, the hospital stay, the meds. My vet has been great ... but she sent me to an opthamologist to get a second opinion and it was this guy who gave me this price. He did say that Enzo probably wouldn't need the surgery. But, $300 for tacks did seem pricey to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:51 am 

Thanks for the info Mindy. My peiby was actually born in the SPCA Shelter I volunteer at. I was lucky to see him at 2 days old. Boy has he grown fast. He's going to be 14 weeks old this Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:48 pm 

Our vet told us when Kayko was 9 weeks that she would need entropion surgery. I asked about tacking and he said they were not so bad as to need tacking.....also that they could do her eyes when she was spayed....
Now,her eyes do seem better....some bad days, some really good days. almsot no tearing and they are wide open, just a little droopy on bad days.
There is no way I would have her eyes done at the same time as her spay....only 6 months is too young for her eyes right?
So anyway, is it common to need entropion surgery, but not need tacking?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:58 pm 

Hi Tyka, I'm not sure of other people's experience but we had entropian surgery with a neuter with one or our chows at 6 months, he is our most wrinkly chow, looks like a bear coat pei, I think that the sedation did something to him, maybe since he was out for longer with 2 proceedures, he has been wobbly ever since, never recovered, we think he was over sedated, it did some kind of damage to him, he's had been a bit slower ever since that day. He's a wonderful dog but we always felt that if we had to do again we would do it differently.

<small>[ February 23, 2006, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Jasper ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 pm 

WOW I had never really thought of that..I just took Zorro to the vet and he will needs to have surgery on his lip and I was planning to have him nuetered at the same time to save a little money. I should look into that a bit more. I would hate to see Zorro suffer just to save 50 bucks! I am wondering if anyone knows about how much the surgery for "tight lip" costs. I know here office visits are very reasonably priced and the surgery for Zorro's lip is 200€ and another 50 to nueter him at the same time. I forgot to ask how much entropia surgery costs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:55 pm 

FORGOT... I am surprised that the vet would say that a 9 week old puppy would need surgery later. I didn't think they could tell that until they actually grew into their wrinkles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:40 pm 

Tykasmom, I have never heard of a dog that didn't need tacking, but went on to need entropion surgery, usually they are bad from the beginning, although it is possible. You should always tack until the dog is at least 6 months old, or older if it continues to improve. Some vets go straight to entropion surgery because it is a high dollar surgery, and unsuspecting pet owners don't know any better.
Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:54 am 

I personally don't like the idea of putting a puppy/dog under Anaesthetic numerous times. I think (depending upon what needs to be done), putting the dog/puppy under once is better and can be less traumatic to the animal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 am 

I personally don't like the idea of putting a puppy/dog under Anaesthetic numerous times. I think (depending upon what needs to be done), putting the dog/puppy under once is better and can be less traumatic to the animal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:06 pm 

I tried today to get some pics of Kayko eyes....
this was a bad day for her....and my pic taking is not the best....

[img]http://www.sharpeiforums.com/images/members/00001193/Im001196.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sharpeiforums.com/images/members/00001193/Im001197.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sharpeiforums.com/images/members/00001193/IM001191.JPG[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:54 pm 

Quote:
Originally posted by Tykasmom:
Our vet told us when Kayko was 9 weeks that she would need entropion surgery. I asked about tacking and he said they were not so bad as to need tacking.....
Ok, I re-read this statement, and this makes no sense...the vet says the dog doesn't need his eyes tacked, but tells you the dog will need entropion? FIND ANOTHER VET. I'm sorry, but that is the STUPIDEST statement I have ever heard. The dogs eyes are apparently fine now, but he "knows" somehow that they are going to get SO BAD when he matures that he will have entropion? Just rediculous. :rant:

Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:59 pm 

Ok, now looking at the photos you sent, the eyes are open wide, they look great. There is definitely nothing wrong with the bottom lid, it is far away from the eyeball, no way it could cause any rubbing...the top looks very good to me, but I see there is some watering in the top photo, but that could easily be just from allergens, LOTS of pei's eyes water a little now and again. If your vet tells you this dog needs entropion surgery, here is what you do - tell him to stain the eye - they have a green flourescent stain that they put in the eye, and it shows any ulcers on the eye. If there are no ulcers, your dog probably doesn't need surgery. I say "probably" because if the eyelashes have just began rubbing the eye, it may take awhile for an ulcer to develop. Overall, I would say the eyes look fine from those photos, and this is not a dog who will ever need entropion surgery.
Mindy Carter
Soshi's Shar-Pei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:26 pm 

Thank you so much for the reply....
There are no "pei friendly" vets listed for Maine so we are trying to do the best for the girls that we can.
Changing vets is always an option.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:28 pm 

Oh...as for watering, our other pei does that too from time to time. Cold weather here in Maine, along with forced hot air heat in the house causes us all...dogs and people to have a bit of allergies.