The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shaking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:59 am 

Hi, iam new to this board ,and I could sure use some help. Roxy, my year old shar pei is shaking constantly, she even wakes up in the middle of the night and does it. Sometimes this can go on for a hour, by the time she is done she is panting and wore out. I don't know what is going on, our vet thought it was allergies ,but i am not so sure.We had a sharpei for 11 years and she died and we got this one, our other one shook some but not like this. I am scared it is a more serious problem. Any ideas? I welcome suggestions. Thamks Debbie

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Shaking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

Can it be from her ears bothering her? How do her ears look inside?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm 

Shaking is usually caused from pain, or as the case with this breed, fevers.

Get a rectal digital thermometer today and when she is shaking, take her temperature. Your dog's normal rectal temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Let us know what the results are and we can go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:48 pm 

Do you mean shaking like when a dog shakes snow or rain off or like after a bath or shaking like when they have an ear infection?

Or do you mean shivering like when they are cold or have a fever or when in pain?

It would be good to know if fever is involved....
Could it be a seizure?Panting can also be a sign of being over heated or over taxing the body....or from fever or over excited or fear

Is the dog eating and drinking normal and acting normal other then the shivering/shacking?
Do you know the signs of FSF swelling of hocks or Muzzle?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 pm 

I have a few more question when your pei is shaking can you get her attention,Does she stay in the same area? What do her eyes look like can she focus or do they look glazed over?

YOu need to see a diff vet and if you could get a picture or a sm video of it on a phone or cam corder.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:21 pm 

Thanks for the overwelming response first of all, I really appreciate it. I thought I would give some more info on it. She shakes like a dog does after a bath, she doesn't appear to be spacey or unresponsive. She usually paces thru out the house and we try to calm her down by rubbing her ears. Her ears look ok from what I can see, but I am not sure. I have taken her to the vet with this and he is not sure if it is allergies or ear mites,but he said he would have to sedate her to really get a good look at her ears. He talked about giving her prednizone,has anyone heard of this? I am really kinda worried,we love her so much and we don't want anything to be seriously wrong. We don't want her to be uncomfortable either so whatever we need to do to help her , we will. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:31 pm 

I also wanted to add that when she is not shaking she acts like a typical sharpei, onry and dosen't like to listen,she constantly getting into stuff. She dosen't seem to be eating as much either,she drinks alot though. Tiki our other dog was so laid back,not Roxy she is busy. She dosen't seem to like other dogs,she tends to want to chase and snap at them. She takes awhile to warm up to people she dosen't know either. Does anyone else have one that behaves this way?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:06 pm 

The poor dog I would find another Vet to let a dog go home not doing anything for it is cruel..
Now that I understand whats going on..It does sound like ears..As she's not scratching.Does one of her ears flop down[look lower] on one side or does she paw them? It's not good all the shaking that long it can cause problems.....
Pred that the vet wanted to give you is a steriod that slows down the immune system....

If the dog starts shaking again try rubbing some vaseline in the inner flap close to entrance of the drum you want some to get in the drum if it's an infection bacteria,yeast,fungus or mites it will relieve it for a time also try giving a benadryl to relax and calm...A 50 lb dog can take two of the 25 mg.Its 1 mg per lb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm 

Prednisone is a steriod. Sometimes ear infections can be related to allergies. Have you tried cleaning her ears. There is solutions you can buy used to wash the ears out. I use MalAcetic Otic cleanser. If there is an ear infection present you can also use Otomax. It will help clear up the infections. Your vet should have these.

As for the behavior it can be common for some pei's to take a moment to warm up, especially if they had not had any socialization training. Have you thought of enrolling her in a training program. It will help with this behavior.

Also a couple of tips that may help if she does snap. SHe has to view you as the pack leader. When she goes to snap you need to have a firm correction. What I am speaking of is not yelling, put a loud enough NO to get her attention. Normally I will redirect the pei's attention when this happens. (Yes I have an issue with my 11 year old pei... she has become grippy in her old age). Though she will get that look and every now and then try to "snap" at Pogo, I simply say "NO" and she knows to snap out of it. Also I try to redirect her attention before it gets to this point. When she starts to stare I know I have to get her attention and correct the behavior. I do this by giving her a toy or getting her mind off of what she originally attended to do.

I hope you can figure out what is going on with her ears. Have they performed a toxicology on her ears. That will be able to tell if there is a yeast infection or any bacteria present. I would find out before I started any steriods.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 am 

It does sound like the ears. Something inside is really really bothering her.

I would get another vet, a shar pei friendly vet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am 

Thank you for your advice, I will sure follow it. Calling the vet back again today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 am 

My peiby Skye use to shake when he would begin fevering. Knock on wood; he has only fevered 2x's (1x was quite bad) and is 3 1/2. I was quite upset at his first fever. I would suggest you take a base temperature of your peiby so you know when they are fevering. I am quite surprised the vet mentioned predisone right off the bat.

Dana and Skye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm 

steroids should always be a last resort.

If the ear gunk looks dark brown, black it's probably yeast, very common in shar pei.

Check temp like the others say, get a new vet.

If she seems nervous, rescue remedy, all natural flower essence works great, a couple of drops on her mouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:02 pm 

Hi Guys, I am happy to report I took Roxy back to the vet and he said she had severe allergies. I did not know that licking there foot was a sign of allergies. My vet is really a good vet, I didn't mean to give the impression he wasn't. He truly loves animals. He took alot of time with her and determined it was indeed allergies,her nose runs and her eyes water. He gave me some meds, not sure what, for sure but I am happy to say she has hardly shaken at all. Yeah!!!! He said peis have alot of allergies and stuff, and for me just to stay on top of it. Thanks for your help, plus I am going to get the stuff to clean her ears too. Thanks again, Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:21 pm 

Debbie I am so glad you got a dx for your baby roxy and finally that baby has some relief. Please keep us updated. :D

LIBBY, SAVANNAH AND SCARLETT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 pm 

Thank you peek a boo, I love the pic of your pei very cute and I love the way its marked. Roxy is black. I love them all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm 

My pup shook her head constantly when her ear(s) were infected. I think it was yeast and the shaking would help her not feel so itchy. That poor girl needs some relief. Hugs and prayers for you both.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 pm 

Was this diagnsis based on actual allergy testing? If not I would be wary of this diagnosis.

Most ear issues (as well as red feet and skin issues) are often related to either bacterial and/or systemic yeast overgrowth.

Did your Vet run a culture to rule out bacteria or yeast?

Allergy diagnosis without allergy testing are assumptive diagnosis and often inaccurate.

Treatment with systemic steroids may temporarily relieve symptoms but being immuno-suppressive will often either cause or exacerbate any possible bacterial or yeast issues and may also contribute to an overgrowth of demodectic mange. Also, long term systemic steroid use can take years off the lifespan and cause a multitude of serious health issues.

I would advise a second opinion from a Pei expeienced Vet. We have a list of such here under our Shar Pei health section.

Blessing's CSP
http://blessingssharpei.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:05 am 

I have to agree with JL. If every pei that had a runny nose and eye discharge meant they had allergies, the majority of the breed would be in (oh, yeah...most do have allergies ....silly me).

The trick is to find out WHAT They are allergic to. Is it the food? grass? Because a bad infection could have the same symptoms.

Is she pawing at her ears or eyes? is she sneezing? At the same time, depending on what the meds are he gave you, he may be treating an infection (something like ketoconizole is often used for yeast/bacterial for example). I would go back and ask lots of questions of your vet and make sure you understand what each medication is for (that usually helps you figure out what the actual diagnosis is...and not just 'allergies").

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am 

Foxy Roxy wrote:
He gave me some meds, not sure what, for sure

Debbie, don't you think that you owe Roxie more than just to accept what the Vet gives you without knowing what it is and how it will affect her long term? Being proactive in your care of Roxie goes a long way in insuring her long term health. Accepting drugs from a vet without knowing what they do and what the side effects may be is very dangerous in my opinion. The symptoms may be temporarily suppressed but what are the long term effects?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:12 pm 

Thanks you guys for the concern, so I called my vet back. He did not give her a steroid at this time. He did a blood test on her and checked her ears out and on that basis he thought it was indeed allergies. He agreed we need to find out what she is allergic to. We are trying to figure it out but as of yet I don't know, the meds are just for allergies and they seem to be helping, little to no shaking, not much digging anymore and it is drying her nose up. Hopefully we can figure out what she is allergic to. Our other pei we had for 11 years had allergies as well,she had two shots a year and that seemed to help her, so we will see. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again, Debbie