The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Working Venues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:53 pm 

I wasn't quite sure where to put this so if this is in the wrong place I don't mind if it gets moved.

Anyhow, I was wondering what kind of working venues Shar Pei can be successful in - Schutzhund, Personal Protection, agility, herding, etc.? I have always been interested in Shar Pei and I would love to own one when my life permits it. But I want to be able to work my dog as I am an active person and would like for my dog to be as well. Also, I am very interested in doing Personal Protection work so I am curious as to whether a Shar Pei could do it. I would appreciate facts, opinions, and experiences.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Working Venues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:56 pm 

Welcome to the forum..and..good question. We have a peibei..Dee...who is being trained right now as a care giver by one of our members. Look thru the posts for Dee.... I have also seen a Pei sniffer for police use for drugs...

Pei are a very loyal and inteligent breed. I do not doubt that they could be trained to do anything depending on the size variation of the pei and what the task is for them to accomplish. They, however, are NOT a low maintanance dog, and can have issues that require dilligence and care, as well as love, to help them be their best.

Please read as much as you can here on life, health, care of this lovely breed....and...please...feel free to ask more questions, as needed...you will DEFINATELY get more answers than you can possibly imagine....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 pm 

WELCOME!!!!!!!! :D On FB their is a group on shar peis as therapy dogs.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oriental- ... 153?ref=ts

LIBBY, SAVANNAH AND SCARLETT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:31 am 

Shar-pei are in all working areas .Service Dogs, Agility ,Therapy, Herding, Search and Rescue, Rally-O
You name it just chose what your pei is geared toward and teach they are fab learners.

There are lots of Video 's on line as well showing working shar-pei's Jack and Kate Champion Shar-pei Agility, Lots of therapy pei's .Even Fly ball shar-pei's.

I am hoping more pei's will be trained in the future, especially as the breed health improves.

My Pup Dee is training to be my Service Dog,although older she is learning great- Her public work is fantastic. (although she not a great retriever, lucky me I don't need that.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 am 

I think pei can do all of those things. However, you have to see what the personality of the pei is. I have one that would be great for agility and another for a service dog. But the service one wouldn't be good for agility and vice versa. Choose your pei carefully and with what you would like to do with him or her in mind. There is an interesting article in The Barker this month about herding with pei.