The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:14 pm 

This is my first post and I'm desperately after advice. I have a 6 year old male shar-pei, Taz.
In the past few weeks, he has become very unsettled at night, he paces from the lounge to the kitchen and back again all night, panting and snorting. If I do not go down to him, he can become destructive. I have tried as many things as I can, but nothing is working, the only way he stops is if someone sleeps downstairs with him. Obviously this isnt an ideal situation and is causing massive stress.
He has NEVER behaved like is ever before, he had mild separation anxiety but this problem was sorted a while ago. Any advice would be greatly received.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm 

welcome! sorry your peiby is not settled at night, bumping up for some advice

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 pm 

is it possible he's overheated? or nauseous? I'm thinking his panting might not be because of stress necessarily, but maybe because of not feeling well... has anything changed in the house in terms of smells that could make him sick upstairs, or temperature change?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 am 

No nothing has changed in the house, not that I can tell anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 am 

This winter, every night at 10pm, a coyote would come through our neighborhood looking for food.
Both girls acted the way you described when it was out there.
Even when certain dogs are walked by our house it happens.

Maybe it's something outside?

Bill

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 am 

Enzo is doing this same exact thing right now. We've been putting a baby gate at the top of the stairs to keep him from going up and down for his safety, and also b/c we have hardwood floors and his nails on the floors wakes us up. He goes through these cycles from time to time. This time, he is just finishing up temeril-p...and I've found that that makes him restless.

The only other thought that I have is that it might be a sign of canine cognitive disorder (which I hope it's not). When dog's have CCD there sleep cycles can get thrown off such that they sleep during the day and stay up at night.

We keep the upstairs very cool at night (he sleeps better when it's cold). And we're trying to make sure he gets lots of exercise during the day. I've also starting playing games with him (hiding treats and having him search for them) to not only tire him out physically but mentally. I will let you know if we see any improvement. But I feel your pain. There are some very sleep deprived folks in my house right now!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 am 

It could be an animal out side.I would do a vet check to see blood and urine levels.
Then you can deterime what his problem may be.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 am 

It starts literally as soon as I turn the TV off and get ready to go to bed, he has a light left on downstairs as he's practically blind and is frightened of the dark, the only animals outside are cats, and he can't see them at night as curtains are closed and we don't have security lights. It's very puzzling!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am 

Try leaving the TV on low and see how he reacts.Perhaps he really feels the blindness with the lights out and the voices give him reference to where he is in the room. Otherwise I would wonder if he is in pain!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 am 

Well I've rang the vets (we are quite frequent visitors as unfortunately Tazzy has most shar pei breed traits) and he's booked in to see his usual vet at 9:20 fri morning, I'm hoping its just behavioural but best to get it checked. Thank you for all your advice, I will try the TV tonight and will let you know how we get on!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm 

maybe seperation anxiety? try leaving the TV on with low volumn? we always have a tv or radio on here. that way the cats (& pei when we have them) don't hear EVERYTHING outside

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:11 am 

Well been to the vets this morning, he's fine, very healthy in fact! So I'm hazarding a guess at it being behavioural, and by the way he's behaving today, looks like he thinks he's Alpha, so could comes the water squirter!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 am 

If it continues I would leave a radio on and a night light.He may hear things out side they don't have to see them