The Shar-Pei Forums-Health Behavior Diet & Rescue Info and Discussion Group

World's most popular Shar-pei Forum, dedicated to Members helping Members through advice and info on Shar-pei health, disease and prevention, medicine and veterinary treatment, healthy diet and nutrition, behavior and training.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP PLZZZZ!!1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 am 

i just got a shar pei. he was born 12/25/2010 xmas baby.he is 3 months and he is not big at all i am wondering what is the average size of a shar pei at 3 months?? the reason being is my apt. complex does not allow any dog over 50 pounds. so u can see my next question. on average how big does he get? i see they get up to 60 lbs. i am not gonna have him a butter ball i will keep him in shape and active..i will post sum picks of him later if any1 is interested in seeing him.

Thank you.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: HELP PLZZZZ!!1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:25 pm 

Gabe that depends on whether your pei is a standard or mini? How much does he weigh now and How tall is he at the shoulder?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:22 pm 

sassy wrote:
Gabe that depends on whether your pei is a standard or mini? How much does he weigh now and How tall is he at the shoulder?

to be exact he is 10 weeks and 1 day...his height is around 9inchs and he weights no more then 10lbs (i think close to 7lbs) this is a pic of him..the reason my wife is holding a dvd next to him is so u can compare his size to sumthing and not guessing, and no i dont give him dvd cases to chew on i have toys for him.

Attachments:
l.jpg
l.jpg [ 34.21 KiB | Viewed 1805 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:36 pm 

how big are the parents?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:53 pm 

Welcome :) such a cute peiby. most of my pei have been between 45-50 pounds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm 

I have had Pei as small as 30 lbs and as much as 75 lbs. Alot depends on parents size. 50 lbs is around average.

Try not to worry too much as I sincerely doubt they will be bringing around a scale to weigh him in any case and he will likely be close enough to 50 lbs that they could not accurately guess any weight discrepency.
:wink: :)

Blessing's CSP
http://blessingssharpei.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 pm 

Keep in mind too that Pei attain the majority of their height & weight by 6-9 months of age....they develop at a very fast growth rate.

Blessing's CSP
http://blessingssharpei.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:01 pm 

u dont no how his parents look i got him from a puppie store...i hope the ppl here in the complex stop acting like babies...they see 45-55 average weight and they say no right away..its kinda depressing but tomorrow i will be speaking to the head of the complex and tell her everything you's told me..i mean the rule is no do over 50 lbs. and how can they say no to a dog that is only 10lbs?!?!? but we'll see..thanks alot every1
Attachment:
jjhh.jpg
jjhh.jpg [ 16.15 KiB | Viewed 1775 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:35 pm 

I hope they don't give you a hard time about him. Given that they don't get real tall maybe that will help things out. Some of mine that weigh over that amount I 'd never guess just by looking at them, so unless they are literally going to weigh him, I wouldn't worry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 am 

Remember too that some people have over weight pei's. It is recommended to keep pei's a little leaner these days. Also if they didn't advise you since you got him from a Pet store. Do not feed puppy food, go straight to adult kibble. Browse through our Nutrition Section as a little diet can go a long way toward making your pei's healthy.
Raw , Homecooked and some mix of the 2 with kibble seems to be the healthiest.Feel free to as any questions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 am 

General rule of thumb - may or may not apply to your dog - is to take the weight at 12 weeks and tripple it for the predicted adult weight OR take the weight at 16 weeks and double it. It doesn't work for extreme breeds like Danes or chi's -but is a fairly good guesstimate for average breeds.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am 

i took my pei to the vet yesterday and he weights 10lbs 2 ounces...and the they arroved him to stay at complex i had the vet give a projection on how much he will weight at full growth and the vet put less than 50lbs so they had to aprove him..thanks every1

but lately he seems slugish..the vet said he has a cold due to leaveing the kennel so he gave me anti biotics last night he couldent get comfy and alot of times he jus sat with his eyes close he doesnt want to eat out his bowl, but when i put the food in my hand he eats it all up...i take him out side every hr..his eyes water and he has a stuffy nose but again the vet said its a little cold he got...he is 10weeks and he been out the kennel for 3 days is this normal?? also he been drinkin fluids

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm 

Hi Gabe,

You need to buy a good rectal thermometer and take your puppy's temperature when you see sluggish and lethargic behaviour. I would suggest you read many of the excellent guides on here about Familial Shar Pei Fever, a disease that affects many Pei. If your puppy is lethargic and running a fever, you need to begin treatment for the disease as quickly as possible to make sure your puppy has the best possible outcome.

The normal temp for a pup is 102. Anything over 103 should be considered a fever and treated accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm 

Sorry to hear that your pup caught a bug it does happen he may even get raspy and cough if it's a Kennel cough. Then take him back to the vet right away. But you should have as suggested a digital Rectal temperature, And pick up some Baby Asprin, in case of fever.Feed him what he will eat from you hand if it's a little chicken or beef that is fine.
Maybe try a little broth as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 am 

after i post that last post he started to play out of no where...he got alot better within 24hr period..vet said its a simple kennel cold..but i wam goin to buy a rectal thermometer today...thanks every1